Moringa is a money making tree, in our post we will tell you more on how to propagate and grow Moringa.
Propagation Through Seeds;
- Fill in seedlings bags with light soil mixture.
- Plant two or three seeds in each bag. (The seeds should have been soaked overnight.)
- Keep moist but not too wet. Germination will occur within two weeks.
- Remove extra seedlings, leaving one in the bag.
Seedlings can be transplanted after four to six months when they reach 2-3ft tall.
- Dig the hole 1ft wide and 1 ft depth.
- Mix compost or manure with the top soil and fill back the hole with the mixture. Manure should be 1 or 2 shovelfuls.
- Make a hole in the pit to accept all soil in the bag. Keep the soil around the seedling intact.
- Water lightly for the first few days.
NB; SPACING OF Moringa depends on the intended purpose of production.
For seed production 2m by 2m; 1000 trees an acre, and 1m by 1m; 4000 trees an acre, for leaf production.
Management of Moringa
Moringa tree grows quickly and so must be pruned aggressively to encourage lateral growth and increased production.
- When the tree is at 1m cut to height of 0.5m.
- When the tree is at 1.5m cut to height of 1m.
- When the tree is at 2m cut to height of 1.5.
- When the tree is at 2.5m cut to a height of 2m.
-Flowers will appear around 4-9 months.
-Seed pods will mature in around 12 months.
-When harvesting leaves or seed pods prune trees to a height of 2 meters.
-leaves can be harvested once the plant reaches a height of 1.5metres.
-Harvesting rows at different times will ensure there will be always leaves ready to harvest as they are needed.
-During the rainy season harvest of leaves can be done in a week time but during the dry spell you can harvest after two weeks.
Seeds fetch 250ksh per kg while a kg of moringa leaf powder fetches at 300ksh
Photos of Moringa leaf powder and Moringa seeds.
For the All type of Fruit tree seedlings We at oxfarm we do propagate and sell quality certified seedlings to farmers at the best prices for each seedling as above. We also assist in establishment of orchards and for all types of fruit trees. In order to learn more visit our demo farm at ridge ways Kiambu road or in Nyeri. Contact 0706222888 To get directions Call/Text/ WhatsApp us on 0706222888