Tomato is an annual crop that grows in two to three months contingent upon the varieties. In addition, its financial incentive to a farmer, it also has a great nutritive value as it is rich in vitamins C, A and B. This, therefore solves some human health problems, for example, weight reduction, obesity, eye issue, morning sickness as well as constipation. The tomato is also useful for toxic purifying. In this way, on the off chance that you need to yield much from tomatoes, you have to take follow the correct procedure right from the nursery bed, the main garden all through to harvest time. Towards transplanting the following should be done;
- Select a site with a good drainage
- Make beyond any doubt the past crop that was harvested isn’t of same family as tomatoes to avoid transfer of diseases.
- Take soil tests for supplements, soil diseases and pest analysis.
- Apply compost to enhance soil fruitfulness.
- Maintain great plant spacing to maintain a strategic distance from rivalry and spreading of diseases.
- Deep furrow to break hard pans and cups to cover weeds.
- Only transplant hardened off seedlings, one may not do well.
How To prepare a nursery bed for tomatoes
Any farmer peering toward a decent reap should know it begins from the nursery bed. You ought to think about the following;
- Choose a site with great water drainage and raise the beds or seedlings up in a good way.
- Mix the soil with very well decomposed manure
- Treat the soil by steaming it.
- Avoid over watering.
- Use just certified seeds with good germination rate (around 90%).
- Plant seeds at a spacing of five to 10 centimeters or one seed for each hole when using trays.
- Keep the nursery bed free from weeds
- Provide a shade to the nursery bed
- A farmer must spray the garden with fundamental fungicide, for example, the creepy crawly pesticides.
Main Factors To Consider Before Investing In Tomato Growing
Tomatoes can yield exceptionally well if taken great care of. A farmer can also make misfortunes on the off chance that he or she neglects to make the best choice for they are exceptionally sensitive. The primary components for tomato developing incorporate;
- Tomatoes require profound deep soils
- They require moderate rainfall
- They require less humid conditions
- Tomatoes require moderate temperatures
- They require soil PH running between 6.0 to 7.0, that is marginally acidic
- Tomatoes require well drained loam soils
- Consider capital and information about tomato management in order to dodge related mix-ups.
If the above elements are viewed as then a farmer is prepared to grow tomatoes and profoundly yield from them.
Common Diseases That Attack Tomatoes
Tomatos being a perishable and highly marketed crop in Uganda has got various challenges during its production. The challenges include pests, diseases and other weather dynamics, below are some of the common diseases.
This is one of the most stubborn diseases that have left most tomato growers disappointed.
It is sometimes caused by bacteria which causes the wilting and eventually death of the growing point and upper leaves. It is a soil born bacteria and has no treatment.
Another type of wilt in tomatoes caused by a virus is known as fusarium solani.
This disease is caused by fungi called alternaria solani and alternata. It is identified by yellowing and scotching of leaves and fruits.
The plant appears burnt and fruits yellow before ripening.
Blossom end rot
This is a physiological infection which attacks tomato fruits due to lack of calcium in a plant.
The lack of calcium in fruits reduces cell membrane permeability hence resulting into swelling of the cells which eventually causes leakage.
It can also be caused by limited root space. This puts a plant at danger of irregular water supply.
Tomato leaf mould
It’s a fungal disease which affects leaves. It’s caused by fungus called passalora fulva. Its attack can be confused with blight.
For the All type of Fruit tree seedlings We at oxfarm we do propagate and sell quality certified seedlings to farmers at the best prices for each seedling as above. We also assist in establishment of orchards and for all types of fruit trees. In order to learn more visit our demo farm at ridge ways Kiambu road or in Nyeri. Contact 0706222888 To get directions Call/Text/ WhatsApp us on 0706222888