Kenya is known to be blessed with various assets with the potential for fruitful aquaculture. Hence, commercial fish rearing isn’t another investment thought in the nation. The nation is home to unmistakable geographic and climatic areas and assets, for example, substantial waterways, the Indian Ocean coastline, marshes, and Lake Victoria, the biggest freshwater lake in the continent. Such resources add to the plenitude of a variety of sea-going species in Kenya, which favors both vast and small-scale fish farming in Kenya.
As of now, fish farming in Kenya has ended up being a key monetary movement and a source of income for a few Kenyan family units. Thus, you can go over various fish farms set up for business purposes as you transverse the nation. While a few farmers practice this gainful financial activity for its benefits, others are doing it for family consumption. In any case, regardless of whether its fish farming for subsistence or business purposes, these fish farms have made a huge contribution to the dietary demands and economy of the nation.
Benefits Of Commercial Fish Farming In Kenya
- You will have an easy time since climate, and geographical conditions of Kenya are ideal for the economic activity.
- Kenya has an array of fish species hence you can choose on the most profitable ones.
- The country has a high demand for fish products, so your fish will fetch good market prices.
- You can opt to use some of the fish for consumption. So you can earn and at the same time meet your daily nutritional demands.
- The practice can be a good source of income considering the current high rate of unemployment experienced in Kenya.
- The practice is a right way of exploiting the numerous water resources in the country for economic purposes.
Step By Step Instructions On How To Start A Fish Farm
In case you’re thinking about joining the group of fish farmers in Kenya, it is critical that you remember a few imperative elements. Here is a well-ordered manual for take after while diving into this lucrative monetary activity.
- Selecting the perfect land – For business angle generation, it will be appropriate on the off chance that you pick earthen lakes since they are the most reasonable. Make sure that the ground you pick is moderately level and free from contamination. Furthermore, the land ought to have a dependable water source since the quality and amount of the water you utilize impacts production.
- Construction and outline of the fish pond – Ensure that the pond plan you pick underpins the species you expect to introduce. The pond should support the growth of your fish. A perfect pond configuration also guarantees most extreme production and great wellbeing of your fish.
- Selecting suitable fish species – Your decision of a specific species is subject to the farm area, atmosphere, and market. For example, tilapia is known to have a monstrous demand across the nation. You can likewise go for fish species that is easy but difficult to keep up with your present area climate.
Techniques And Tips
It is advisable that you provide quality food to ensure faster growth and maximum production. For commercial farming, you can go for manufactured supplementary feeds. The Kenyan market has several fish feed varieties that are specific for the different types of fish species. While caring for your fish, ensure that you handle all your tasks precisely and timely.
It is also advisable that you change the water and examine the water and soul quality regularly. Additionally, be keen on how you protect your fish from predators and use the proper medicines to keep your fish healthy.
Incomes And Profitability
Fish farming is a lucrative business idea in Kenya. For example, a farmer in Kirinyaga started the business with about Ksh. 20,000 and began making money after only a half year. His first huge cash from his fish farm was Ksh. 150,000. As of now, the farmer acquires between Ksh. 60,000 and Ksh. 100,000 consistently from the production of fish and fingerlings. This is simply a case to affirm how lucrative fish farming in Kenya can be.
Fish has a ready and appropriate market in Kenya since most Kenyans cherish the delicacy. Moreover, fish also has an appeal in the universal market. It is prudent that you send your fish straight to the market at the earliest opportunity because of their perishability. You can also categorize your harvest as indicated by sizes with the goal that you can expand profits.