Raising chickens can be a lot of fun for the entire family. It’s a chance to break into small-scale farming, create a family business, and reduce food insecurity. These poultry farming advantages and disadvantages can help you decide if raising chickens is right for you.
Can One rear Kienyeji for commercial purpose
There are only 2 main ventures in poultry rearing, eggs or meat.
There are mainly3 types of chicken for that. Layers, Broilers and Kienyeji.
- Kienyeji feeds more than layers
- Kienyeji best for scavenging
- Layers have best laying rate and longest laying period
- broilers achieve market value faster than Kienyeji
- The market for eggs is bigger than meat
- The market for Kienyeji meat is growing very fast
- Kienyeji eggs fetches higher prices
Our take is that improved Kienyeji is more suitable for meat at commercial production scale.
Also Read: How to Be Smart in The World of Agribusiness
Does one need cages in poultry farming?
- Well, that depends on the number of birds you have. Cages are best for layers farming but also used in broiler production
- Return on Investment(ROI) is the major considerations in cage system.
- Cages have alot of benefits but also expensive when calculated cost per bird
- My opinion is to use deep litter system for less than 300 birds and consider cages for large number of birds
Which is more profitable, eggs or meat?
- This also depends with the resources available. In the long run egg production is more profitable and in the short run meat production is more profitable
- Consider meat producing chicken achieving the market value in less than 3 months and layers starting to lay after 5-6 months.
Which venture is easier, to do eggs or meat?
- Also depends with resources available. Meat production at commercial levels is easier to do as it does not involve tedious vaccination and disease control. Also, the duration to its maturity is shorter.
- However the cage system simplifies the layers production
Which one is less risky?
- Kienyeji production has less risks compared to layers or broilers. The improved breeds are resistant to diseases and can be done for meat and eggs.
Vaccination program for layers
- 1st day – Marek (should be done at the hatchery)
- 7th day – New Castle
- 14th day -Bursal disease(Gumboro) in drinking water
- 21st day – Bursal disease(Gumboro) in drinking water
- 35th day – New castle in drinking water
- 56th day – fowl typhoid intramuscular
- 70th day – fowl pox wing stab
- 112th day – New castle in drinking water
How to get your own layers or broilers
- Start by rearing your breeding stock. This can be done by buying ex-layers and respective cocks and produce fertile eggs.
- Obtain an egg incubator and hatch your own chicks
- Get the eggs incubators
Which is cheaper, buying feeds or making own feeds
- Feeds constitute 80% of the total costs. Making your feeds would definitely lower these costs especially when raw materials are available and or purchased in bulk
- Also get the formula for making feeds
Requirements to make own feeds
- Feed making machine
- Raw materials
- Feed formula
- Get the feed making machine
How much do i need to start layers, broilers or kienyeji production
Well, this depends on you. How many birds do you want, do you have an established structure? We can do this for you if you visit us.
Advantages of Poultry Farming
Chickens provide multiple food resources
If you begin raising chickens, then you’ve got choices. You can raise chickens for meat and be able to replenish your food supply once per quarter. Hens can also provide eggs that reduce food insecurity.
It can be profitable
Depending on where you live, one dozen farm-fresh chicken eggs can be priced at Ksh 10-20. Even at the lower end of the pricing spectrum, a dozen goes for around $2. If your hens are laying a dozen eggs per day, that’s some easy cash that begins to add up.
Chickens can reduce stress levels
Chickens have unique personalities. They might try to fly somewhere and fail. Some might run into your fencing and then think the sky is falling. Spending time with chickens can definitely lower cortisol levels.
Disadvantages of Poultry Farming
It is a monetary investment
You’ll need to install a chicken house and coop to protect your chickens. Poultry netting can run as high as $400 for a single coop. Small coups can be found for around $300 if you just want a handful of hens running around. Feed and bedding have costs to consider as well.
It is a time investment
The chickens need to be put in every night to avoid predators. Someone will need to feed them for you if you go on vacation. Without enough food, water, and grit, your time as a poultry farmer will be short.
Chickens are filthy birds
Poultry farming requires the bedding in a chicken coop be replaced about once per month. You may need to avail your coop for inspections if you sell food products. Without proper cleanliness, an entire farm could be wiped out with just one illness.
Get it right, always seek professional help.For the All type of Fruit tree seedlings We at oxfarm we do propagate and sell quality certified seedlings to farmers at the best prices for each seedling as above. We also assist in establishment of orchards and for all types of fruit trees. In order to learn more visit our demo farm at ridge ways Kiambu road or in Nyeri. Contact 0706222888 To get directions Call/Text/ WhatsApp us on 0706222888