Pig farming in Kenya is another lucrative venture. However, it is not a walk in the park when it comes to farming. It requires a lot of time and money to make a profitable pig farm. To have a successful pig farm, a farmer requires some of the methods below.
Barn or Hut
Pig farming in a barn is generally easy. Farmers should use concrete to make a barn for pig farming. It is very necessary to keep the pigs inside the farm. Farmers should make the floor slope so that the water can be used to clean the barn easily. Farmers should separate the feeding area to the rest area for cleaning it easily. At least 10 feet deep and 10 feet wide area is perfect for every two pigs. The rest area should be half the size of the feeding area with a pool where they can bath and the pool should be at least 5 feet.
How to take care of pigs in a barn
- Depending on number of pigs farmers should clean pens naturally twice in a week.
- It is very important to keep feeder full.
- Mud hole filled with water in outside pen.
- A lot of bedding is necessary in corner but not entire pen.
Selecting Pig Breeds
There are numerous pig breeds available throughout the world. You can choose the local breeds first which are easily available in your area. Some common and popular pig breeds are; Yorkshire, Spotted, Poland China, Landrace, Hampshire, Duroc, Chester White and Berkshire.
Pig should be fed 18% crude protein. Farmers should not feed pig table scraps and garbage. For this farmer may befall in danger. To farming, the pig should give the lettuce and other vegetables, but meat products are not appropriate. If the farmers give meat products the pig will put on too much fat and it will decrease the profit. Pig should feed 20-30 kgs of feed a day.
To consider proper environment situation is very important to farming pig successfully. To farm pig farmers should make a pollution free environment. The pig industry needs a particular location. Without careful management of waste products, it may be very dangerous problem for child pig. It is a great and profitable process to make manure from the disposal of the pigs. It is very useful for agriculture. The environment of the outside and inside should protect all times because it is very essential to farming pigs. Inside environment is important for their health. The farming area should be made clean and dry. During the cold month, a heat lamp must be put and kept out of the north wind and south winds. Farmers should use straw as bedding during the winter. During summer season, it is very need that the pig has a place to lay in mud in the pen. If the pigs sweat or stay in a dry environment pigs will lose 10-20 Kgs a day. So, always farmers should conscious about the pig’s health and always try not to sweat them.
Health and Diseases
Farmers should conscious about pigs’ health. So medical attention is essential.
- Farmers should be aware about the symptoms of diseases. Like no interest in food, diarrhea, eye discharge, excessive coughing, hernia, dry skin and irregular spots on skin, excessively long hair, back bone showing etc.
- If the pig has diarrhea, farmers should call veterinarian and treat it carefully. Without proper treat pigs can be dehydrated and lost its weights quickly. This situation can also lead to death.
- If the pigs are coughing it is very essential to contact with veterinarian as soon as possible.
- Pigs should not give antibiotics 21-45 days before slaughter date.
- Pigs must be wormed with safe guard swine wormier monthly to kill whip.
Pig farming is very attractive and profitable business. To do pig farming in Kenya, one needs training. As pigs meet up the farmers economic need, it is becoming an enjoyable business day by day. To farm pigs effectively farmers should make perfect shelter for pigs. They should give proper food and proper medical protection. Without rearing pigs properly, it is not possible to earn good profits. So, to earn money farmers should always be careful about their pigs. If any farmer follows the above instruction, then he will be surely success.