Moringa also known as drumstick, Ben oil tree, horseradish or the miracle tree etc. is a fast growing, drought resistance tree, native to tropical and subtropical regions of Asia. It’s widely cultivated for its young seed pods and leaves used as vegetables and for traditional herbal medicine. It’s also used for water purification.
Key Nutrients of Moringa;
- Vitamin C
- Riboflavin (B2)
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin A etc.
Facts about Moringa
- It contains 30 times more magnesium than eggs
- It contains 17 times more calcium than milk
- It contains 15 times potassium than bananas
- It contains 12 times vitamins C than oranges
- It contains 10 times vitamin A than carrots
Edible parts of the plant
- Leaves- They are dried and ground into moringa leaf powder. The dried leaf powder can be added to dishes, drinks and soups to increase the nutritional value of a meal.
Health Benefits of Moringa.
- Rich source of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Has vitamin A, C and E, Calcium, Potassium and Protein.
- Anti Cancer agent. Fights free radicals; leaves extracts have higher antioxidant activity, free radical scavenging capacity and higher inhibition of lipid, protein and DNA oxidation.It also contains antioxidants called flavonoids, polyphenols and ascorbic acid in the leaves, flowers and seeds. It reduces cancer cell growth and promotes cell death in several cancers.
- Contains anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties.Inflammation can lead to chronic diseases like diabetes, respiratory problems, cardiovascular disease, arthritis and obesity. It reduces inflammation by suppressing inflammatory enzymes and proteins in the body. Lowers inflammation in the cells.
- Helps reduce some diabetes symptoms. It’s effective at reducing lipid and glucose levels and regulating oxidative stress in diabetic patients.
- Protects the cardiovascular system. It prevents plaque formation in the arteries and reduces cholesterol levels.
- Supports brain health. Supports brain health and cognitive function because of its antioxidant and neuro enhancer activities. Its high content of vitamin E and C fights oxidation that’s leads to neuron degeneration improving brain function
- Protects the liver. Has high concentration of polyphenols and thus protects liver against oxidation, toxicity and damage. Can reduce liver damage, fibrosis and reverse oxidation in the liver. Moringa oil can restore liver enzymes to normal levels, reducing oxidative stress and increases protein content in the liver.
- Contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. It’s effective against types of fungi that cause infections on skin and strains of bacteria that are responsible for blood and urinary tract infections and digestive problems.
- Enhances wound healing. Has blood clotting properties
- Could protect against arsenic toxicity.
How to use Moringa;
Add moringa powder to your smoothie or drink it as a tea.
-has mild flavor.
-Stay clear of seed extract consumption, as they have shown a level of toxicity in immune cells.
-Has laxative effects if taken in large quantities.
-it should be ½ to 1 teaspoonful per day.
For more information about Moringa and other tree fruits feel free to contact us.