- a) PLANTING AND BRINGING THE TREE TO BEARING
When planning a new orchard, the following aspects need to be involved: soil type, climate and availability of irrigation water, management skills and cultivar to be planted.
- ORCHARD LAYOUT AND SPACING
- Set in a rectangular system that allows for movement of orchard equipment between the trees for spraying and harvesting.
• Pruning may be required
• Spacing of hass avocado can vary from 5m * 5m to 9m* 5m but the final decision rests with the grower.
- DIRECTION OF ROWS
The tree rows should be planted as close as possible in an east-west direction for maximum sunlight on both sides of the trees.
The tree drip area should be kept clean of any growing crop but should be mulched.
- PLANTING PROCEDURE
Make sure that at the time of planting the soil is clean of weeds in the planting rows, the irrigation has been installed and is in a working condition and enough stakes are available for supporting the trees directly after planting.
- HOLES SIZE AND POSITIONING.
Trees should be kept upright and out of direct sunlight until they are physically planted. Planting holes can be dug with a hoe and spade and needs to be 2ft * 2ft *2ft.
- REMOVING PAPER.
When ready for planting the bag is carefully cut open along one side without disturbing the root system. Loose soil is piled into the planting hole so that the soil level of the avocado tree will be 1/3 above the ground.
• The tree is then kept upright and the hole is filled with soil and firmly pressed down. Fill to the soil level of the planting bag.
Water the avocado tree directly after planting. Afterwards regular light every to 2 to 3 days is necessary to keep the root system from drying out.
Mulching around the trees will also prevent drying out of the soil and will keep the root system cool and active.
Use 1.8m to 2.0m treated poles/bamboo sticks for this purpose and plant them +/- 50mm away from the main stem of the tree.
• Do not fasten the trees too tightly against the pole, but rather loosely. Ensure the stake is not placed within the root zone.
For more information on hass avocado management contact us or visit our offices at Hermes House Nairobi Tom Mboya street opp K.T.D.A
CONTACT US FOR MORE IN MANAGEMENT AND SEEDLINGS
For the All type of Fruit tree seedlings We at oxfarm we do propagate and sell quality certified seedlings to farmers at the best prices for each seedling as above. We also assist in establishment of orchards and for all types of fruit trees. In order to learn more visit our demo farm at ridge ways Kiambu road or in Nyeri. Contact 0706222888 To get directions Call/Text/ WhatsApp us on 0706222888