In the recent days the demand of pepino melons has increased due to their many health benefits. Its demand is in increase each day. It is a herbaceous fruit mainly grown for its juicy and cramatic fruits. The fruits is typically a bright green or yellow green and often has some red or purple stations. The flesh is golden yellow when ripe with a narrow seed cavity. The melon is entirely edible skin, flesh and seeds. The fruits are very sweet and juicy. It should be eaten only when ripe.
The plant requires well drained loan soils with a pit of 6.5- 7.5. The plant should be well watered and weeded. Spacing of 2 to 3 ft is recommended .mature should be applied in plenty at least 2kg per hole. Mature plants reach a height of about 1.2 meters. Once they mature the fruits are harvested every week. One plant can produce more than 250 fruits per year and a minimum of 150 fruits per year. The current market price at the farm gate is between sh 30-sh 50 depending on the size. The fruits has a ready market due to their many health benefits. Some of the many health benefits include;
- Breaking down into glucose for great energy to get you through your day and increases stamina.
- It helps with liver disease, lower blood pressure, helps those that suffer from strokes to heal faster and promotes cardiovascular health.
- The fruit helps to prevent cancer and diabetes (tends to regulate blood sugar levels because of the high fiber content) plus it lowers cholesterol.
- Pepino melon is anti-inflammatory in action helping to sooth away your aches and pains.
- Pepino melons has lots of vitamin A,C,K and also B vitamin, proteins, plus iron and copper which are essential for a healthy immune systems and calcium for bones, potassium which is needed for relaxing and lowering blood pressure and pepino is a good diuretic.
- Pepino melon has soluble fiber similar to act meal which also helps to lower cholesterol and it’s easy to digest. The fiber also helps with constipation and it tends to sooth away gastric ulcers too.
- The pepino melon is also sodium free decreasing your daily intake of sodium lowers your blood pressure and reduces your risk of developing illness related to high blood pressure, such as heart disease and kidney disease.
Cost analysis of ¼ an acre
Cost of seedlings – 100,000
Cost of preparing the land – 5,000
Cost of planting – 5,000
Cost of manure – 20,000
Misleneous for 3 months – 30,000
TOTAL COST – 160,000
After 3 months for the next one year
After 3 months of maturity each pepino melon can produce a minimum of 150 fruits per year. If we work with the minimum you can get 150,000 fruits per year. If you sell the fruits with the least price of Sh 30 per fruit you will get Sh 15,000,000 every year. The life span of the pepino melon is more than 2.5 years.
Pepino melon is one of the profitable fruit we have in the country. Its future is promising as most countries like China and Chile have discovered how to extract the medicine value in the fruits and package. If you can’t plant them for commercial purposes make sure you get some for family consumption. We have certified seedlings from our seedbeds.For the All type of Fruit tree seedlings We at oxfarm we do propagate and sell quality certified seedlings to farmers at the best prices for each seedling as above. We also assist in establishment of orchards and for all types of fruit trees. In order to learn more visit our demo farm at ridge ways Kiambu road or in Nyeri. Contact 0706222888 To get directions Call/Text/ WhatsApp us on 0706222888