Today if you go to any major supermarket in Kenya and head straight to fruits shelves, you will come across a fruit that is not common in our homesteads, “Pomegranate”. This is a fruit that has taken the whole world by storm. Slowly but steadily, pomegranates are attracting interest, now that consumers worldwide see the pomegranate as a “super fruit” due to its high nutritional value and health benefits. It has gone from being a fruit that is difficult to eat to a highly sought after super fruit. The major markets for pomegranate are Europe, the United States and Canada, followed by India, Malaysia, Japan and the United Arab Emirates, among others. In these markets, the popularity of this fruit has re-surged in the last ten years and demand has increased, due to greater interest among consumers in purchasing healthy, nutritious products.
In addition to greater demand for pomegranates as fresh fruit, there is growing interest at the international level on the part of the food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries in including pomegranate on their lists of ingredients because of its nutritional value, bright color, sweet and sour flavor, and health properties. This accounts for part of the great popularity these products are gaining on the market.
Due to the foregoing, growth expectations for the pomegranate market are encouraging, since the market is demanding – and is expected to continue to demand – an increasing amount of “super fruits” because of their health and beauty benefits, which pomegranates offer in abundance. The markets that now have good prospects for increasing their consumption of pomegranate, and thus represent an opportunity for both established and emerging exporters, are the European markets, especially Germany, and the United States.
Pomegranate is a red fruit with a tough outer layer. It is an original native of the Persian people and it is also one of the oldest known fruits. The fruit started to shine in the lime light of healthy fruits when it was discovered by scientists that it carried more health benefits compared to other fruits in its category. South Africa is a major producer of pomegranate in Africa. Kenyan small-scale farmers have also ventured in the business especially in Kisumu where they find it as a real savior in terms of economy. Pomegranate fruit trades for more than Ksh 100.
Although the fruit is fleshy, only the juice and seeds are edible. A glass of pomegranate juice is said to have more antioxidants than red wine, cranberries, green tea, and blueberries. The health benefits of pomegranates are innumerable and what makes them special is that apart from being healthy, pomegranates are delicious too. Pomegranates have anti-oxidant, anti-viral, and anti-tumor properties and are said to be a good source of vitamins, especially vitamin A, C, and E, as well as folic acid. This amazing fruit consists of three times as many antioxidants as both wine or green tea.
WONDERING WHAT POMEGRANATES ARE GOOD FOR?
They are so useful in maintaining effective and healthy blood circulation, that several doctors suggest eating pomegranates to regain strength after a long illness. Pomegranates have been traditionally used for clearing up the skin and reducing inflammation as well as for the treatment of sore throats. Other health benefits include being a great cure for heart-related problems, stomach disorders, cancer, dental problems, osteoarthritis, anemia, and diabetes.
The amazing health benefits of pomegranates can be enjoyed by consuming them in several ways. You can take them in the form of a juice or you can eat the seeds, syrup, paste, nectar or concentrate. Pomegranate syrups are used for treating damaged cartilage and they also protect babies from brain damage incurred during birth.
Pomegranates help our body in many ways from curing stomach problems to improving erectile dysfunctions and many more. Let us explore some more benefits in detail.
- Cure Stomach Disorders – Pomegranate peel, bark, and leaves are used to calm stomach disorders or diarrhea caused by any kind of digestive problems. Drinking tea made from the leaves of these fruits also helps in curing digestive problems. Pomegranate juice is also used for reducing problems like dysentery and cholera.
- Reduce Heart Problems – A regular intake of pomegranate juice can maintain a good flow of the blood in the body. Because of this property, it subsequently decreases the risk of heart attack and stroke. The antioxidant components in this fruit help to keep bad cholesterol from accumulating and thus, keep the arteries clear of any clots. These clots are clear because pomegranates can make blood thinner.
- Prevent Cancer – Pomegranates contain high levels of antioxidants called flavonoids. These flavonoids are known to be effective in counteracting various cancer-causing free radicals. People that face a high risk of prostate and breast cancer should start drinking pomegranate juice, as it will help them reduce the risk of developing cancer. Regular consumption of pomegranates can reduce the PSA levels in the body and aid in the fight against existing cancer cells in the body.
- Dental Care – Pomegranates, with their antibacterial and antiviral properties, help to reduce the effects of dental plaque and protect against various oral diseases.
- Prevent Osteoarthritis – Pomegranates help to reduce many illnesses, including atherosclerosis and osteoarthritis. The damages caused due to thickening and hardening of the arterial walls and in the cartilage and joints can be cured by eating these fruits. Also, pomegranates can prevent the creation of enzymes that are responsible for breaking down of connective tissues within the body.
- Treat Anemia – Healthy blood flow can be maintained in the body by consuming these fruits. Pomegranates supply iron to the blood, thus helping to reduce symptoms of anemia, which are exhaustion, dizziness, weakness, and hearing loss.
- Control Diabetes- For diabetic patients, drinking pomegranate juice can reduce the risk of various coronary diseases. Along with this, there is a reduction in the hardening of the arteries, which inhibits the development of various heart diseases.
There are other benefits of eating this fruit as well, like reducing the possibility of having premature babies and avoiding low birth weight in infants.
Pomegranates also reduce the possibility of developing Alzheimer’s disease among older generations. They help to control aging problems like wrinkles as well, thus providing people with a youthful and glowing skin. Other than this, these juicy fruits can help women overcome depression symptoms during menstruation, especially post-menopausal depression.
Pomegranate seedlings will only cost you Ksh 300 but the returns are uncountable. Visit our offices or contact us today.For the All type of Fruit tree seedlings We at oxfarm we do propagate and sell quality certified seedlings to farmers at the best prices for each seedling as above. We also assist in establishment of orchards and for all types of fruit trees. In order to learn more visit our demo farm at ridge ways Kiambu road or in Nyeri. To get directions Call/Text/ WhatsApp us on 0706222888