Kakuzi Limited a farm in Muranga has more than 408 hectares of land producing both Hass and Fuerte avocados. Kakuzi is one of the largest exporters of hass avocados in Kenya. The hass season runs from June to mid-September with Fuerte starting a little earlier in March/April.
On 08/12/17, the farm held its annual Avocado Small Holders Field Day; an event that was graced by Muranga Governor Mwangi Wa-Iria. Kakuzi and Muranga county government aims at educating, supporting and promoting increased productivity of avocado by Kenyan farmers.
The event brought together many farmers from Muranga county while others came from as far as Nyandarua county. The Muranga county government and Kakuzi company are passionate about addressing social issues, thus creating a sustainable society and providing an opportunity for development for all. The welfare of Kakuzi’ s employees and of the surrounding communities is therefore at the core if its operations.
During this day Earlier today, Muranga Governor Mwangi Wa-Iria presided over the avocados bonus award ceremony at Kakuzi Limited. The 19 million Shillings bonus will go to farmers who have sold their hass avocado to Kakuzi Limited through a partnership mediated and harnessed by the County Government. This partnership enables the avocados farmers to secure a steady market and better pricing.
Prior to the roll out of this marketing partnership farmers would earn as little as 3 shillings per fruit owing to exploitation by middlemen. However, depending on the grading farmers can now earn up to 35 shillings per fruit delivered to Kakuzi Limited. This initiative is part of the wider avocado farming programme instituted by the County Government to cushion farmers from externalities such as middlemen and fluctuating markets. The initiative also involves giving hybrid hash avocado tree seedlings to farmers in addition to provision of other farm inputs necessary for commercial avocado farming.
Strengths of Hass Avocados
- The Hass avocado is one amongst the foremost common avocados within the world.
- The merely natural Hass Avocado trees are acclimatized to most climates in Republic of Kenya
- Kakuzi company has already oversubscribed several fruits before. Some investors are showing interest in this investment product.
- There are prospects to intercrop the avocado trees with low and plantains.
- Kakuzi buys Hass Avocado at between KSh nineteen and thirty-five per piece depending on size. currently that’s a high giving farmers a possible financial gain of Ksh.1.5 million per acre on the average.
- In addition to the shopping price, farmers supplying Kakuzi get annual bonus at the end of each year. The best farmer this year got a cheque of KSh. 300,000.
- The fruit contains a limitless market in Europe and that we simply can’t satisfy it. Most of the Hass exports (70%) are to France, whereas 15% goes to the united kingdom with the balance distributed through alternative EU countries, Switzerland and Scandinavia.
- Avocado is that the best paying fruit among the fruits oversubscribed overseas thus presenting a property high profit venture for Kenyan farmers.
Related post: Commercial Kiwifruit farming in Kenya
Why Invest in Hass Avocado?
Agricultural Investments will be the best performing investments for the next decade. This is because; the average age of farmers in Kenya and the entire World is over 55 and the rising population is dependent on industrial farms, artificial seeds, pesticides and fertilizers. It seems we are at peak yield and the world needs more food. Population around the world is increasing and food demand will mirror that. Global demand for this superfood is increasing.
For the All type of Fruit tree seedlings We at oxfarm we do propagate and sell quality certified seedlings to farmers at the best prices for each seedling as above. We also assist in establishment of orchards and for all types of fruit trees. In order to learn more visit our demo farm at ridge ways Kiambu road or in Nyeri. To get directions Call/Text/ WhatsApp us on 0706222888